David Grant Mickle, the seventh Institute President, 1941-1943, was only the second chosen who was not a Founder and Charter Member. At the time of his presidency Mr. Mickle was traffic engineer for the City of Detroit. Prior to that he had organized the traffic and safety division for the Michigan State Highway Department and served as its first director. Prior to that he was with Michigan's Highway Planning Survey as an assistant director from 1935 to 1939.
Mr. Mickle was born in July, 1908 in Iowa. He received a B.S. in Civil Engineering from the University of Michigan in 1930 and went to Harvard University where he graduated with an M.S. Degree in 1931.
In 1943 he went to the Automotive Safety Foundation where he remained until 1961 when he was appointed Deputy Federal Highway Administrator of the U.S. Bureau of Public Roads. He served there for several years and in 1961 he became Executive Director of the Highway Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. In 1963 he returned to the Automotive Safety Foundation as Vice President and was named President in early 1969. He retired from his latter job in the 1970s.
Mr. Mickle has received the University of Michigan's Distinguished Alumni Award, the Theodore M. Matson Award and the Society of Automotive Engineers Beecroft Memorial Award.