LeadershipITE will ensure that our Institute and its members are positioned to engage and shape the future.
The Future of Transportation
Are you prepared to be a strong leader in this dynamic environment? The pace of transformation in transportation, technology and the world at-large is accelerating. The challenges and opportunities created by these changes continue to impact society and people’s quality of life in ways hardly predictable. However, we do know there is a greater need for skills beyond technical competencies. Transportation leaders navigating this evolution must be able to communicate, collaborate and advocate with diverse professions, disciplines and communities to reach common goals for safer, livable, more vibrant communities.
It is clear that engineers, planners, and technologists, the core of the Institute of Transportation Engineers’ (ITE) membership, must be a part of these conversations. Our community must have the skills to not only engage but to lead. Developing the next generation of leaders is one of our key objectives.
To this end, ITE has established LeadershipITE. It is a program to identify, develop, and engage leaders to ensure that ITE and its members are positioned to participate and shape the future of transportation.
A class of approximately 30 members will be selected.
Target participants will represent the diversity of our community in age, gender, ethnicity and discipline. These individuals will engage in an intensive program of workshops, conferences, team projects, webinars, and other activities that address the challenges and opportunities facing the transportation profession and ITE. Through this program, participants will explore current issues in transportation; develop and hone leadership competencies; and build the professional network required to excel as leaders in ITE, in their places of employment and communities. Click here for an example LeadershipITE course program.
The primary components of the program include:
- 3 multi-day workshops.
- A program kick-off and leadership workshop in conjunction with TRB will be held along with a meeting of the ITE International Board of Direction at ITE Headquarters in Washington, D.C. in January.
- A leadership workshop and class activities will be held in the spring. The intent is to combine this meeting with an International, District or Section meeting depending upon that year's schedule.
- A leadership workshop, class activities and graduation will be held in conjunction with the ITE Annual Meeting.
- Professionally facilitated team-building and leadership development exercises.
- Small team projects addressing real-world issues facing the transportation profession and/or ITE and its members.
- Networking opportunities with international transportation leaders and decision makers.
- Ongoing alumni activities and networking events.
To be eligible to participate in LeadershipITE the applicant must:
- Be an active ITE Student, Member or Fellow in good standing with ITE.
- Be able to demonstrate contributions to ITE through volunteer activities.
- Be willing to work with their employer, District and Section for financial support of the registration fee.
The application period for LeadershipITE is open through September 15, 2016. Click here for application.
A completed application packet includes:
- Completed application form submitted by the due date;
- Responses to short essay questions;
- Nomination letter from current or past ITE District or Section officer;
- Support letter from current employer; and
- Support letter from non-employer.
Tuition for the program is $3000. This includes all workshops (some meals during workshops), course materials, webinars, and registration to ITE’s Annual Meeting and Exhibit held during the program year. Where possible, it may also include registration to a district or section event if combined with a LITE program. The registration does not include travel, hotel and some meals.