Smart Growth Transportation Guidelines
: An ITE Recommended Practice presents concepts meant to assist transportation and development agencies, planners and designers, developers, elected officials, and others to understand and implement smart growth transportation-related concepts, policies and practices. This report replaces the proposed recommended practice that was published in January 2003 and contains several key updates, including a glossary of terms, reflecting substantial feedback from the transportation planning community. The following five goals are the foundation for the guidelines in the document:
- Pursuing compact, efficient land-use patterns to maximize transportation efficiency and improve the neighborhood environment;
- Providing multimodal mobility within developed areas;
- Providing accessibility within existing built-up areas;
- Making the most efficient use of transportation infrastructure; and
- Supporting smart growth through pricing and sustainable funding.
ISBN-13: 978-1-933452-58-6; ISBN-10: 1-933452-58-7