Kelcey was a Founder and a charter Director of ITE. He is best known in his latter days as being Chairman and
President of the consulting firm Edwards and Kelcey of Newark, New
Jersey. He was a pioneer in traffic control concepts and geometric design
followed in later years by management and communications. He served as a pilot for the US Army from 1917 to 1919 and before
that he had served three years in management positions with financial
institutions. In 1919 he joined the American Gas Accumulator Company as Manager
of their Traffic Engineering Division and was named sales manager of one
of their subsidiaries a year later.
Ten years later he was President of Vehicular Parking, Ltd. in
He served as regional Director for the Division of Local
Transport, Office of the Defense Transportation from 1942 to 1944 and
with the Port of New York Authority until 1945 when he resigned to
become a Partner in Edwards and Kelcey.
Kelcey was a Mechanical Engineering graduate of the Carnegie Institute
of Technology and had received an honorary Doctor of Engineering degree
from Newark College of Engineering.
He was active in ARBA, American Society of Civil Engineers, the
Highway Research Board, the American Institute of Consulting Engineers,
and the American Society of Safety Engineers.